COVID-19 (novel coronavirus)
The Grande Prairie Airport understands that our guests and staff have many questions about COVID-19. It is for this reason that we continue to closely monitor the rapidly evolving COVID-19 pandemic occurring in our province. Currently, the risk level in Alberta is low.
- For the most up-to-date information on the risk level in Alberta, please visit the Government of Alberta website.
Tips for the Travelling Public
Not sure if you should cancel your trip? Consult the destination page on the Government of Canada website for the latest travel advice: https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories
Effective on March 12, 2020, the Alberta Government issued new travel recommendations for anyone returning from outside of Canada.
For travellers who have just returned from outside of Canada, the provincial government requires you to self-isolate for 14 days. Guidelines on how to self-isolate can be found here.
Anyone returning from outside of Canada should follow these steps while in self-isolation:
- Monitor yourself for signs of symptoms like a dry cough or fever.
- Only seek out testing if you:
• feel ill after returning and/or experience either of the symptoms above;
• were in contact with someone diagnosed with COVID-19;
• were in a health-care facility (hospital; clinic) while in an affected country.
- Should you meet the criteria for testing call Health Link. Please follow the instructions of the operator at Health Link and do not visit an emergency department or urgent care facility for COVID-19 testing unless otherwise instructed to do so.
How is the Grande Prairie Airport responding to the COVID-19 pandemic?
Currently, airports around the nation remain open as air travel continues to be, to this date, an essential service in Canada. With that being said, the Grande Prairie Airport has taken the following steps to ensure our facilities remain safe for our staff and the travelling public:
- Implementation of increased janitorial services to ensure the frequent sanitization of all high touch surfaces. Examples of these surfaces include but are not limited to: door handles, handrails, elevator buttons and washroom stalls.
- The installation of additional hand sanitizer dispensers in key areas throughout the terminal building.
- Having staff members sanitize the handles of baggage carts multiple times a day.
- Closure of the restaurant, lounge and administrative offices until further notice.
Grande Prairie Airport has detailed safety procedures and protocols in place based on the guidance and directives from public health agencies at the local, provincial, and federal levels.
We wish to reassure our travelling public and our region that our dedication and commitment to safe travel and workplace environments are our top priorities and we remain vigilant in all situations.
Contacting your Airline
Below are links to airline-specific information. A reminder that wait times on hold with airline call centers can be high. The Grande Prairie Airport encourages you to remain patient and wait your turn, these call centers are your best option for answering all flight-related questions.
Federal and Provincial Websites
The most current COVID-19 information can be found on the Government of Canada’s website: www.canada.ca/coronavirus.
For more information from our provincial government please visit www.alberta.ca.